Friday, July 31, 2009

Cats, stress and travel?

We are moving across the country by car in a couple of weeks, but before that we will visit the in-laws for a week. I have weighed the pros and cons of car and air travel for cats and decided on driving them. My two cats have only been on rides to the vet, so in the next few days we will be taking them on quick trips in town so that they get used to car travel that does not involve needles and barking dogs. My question is, would it be of any help to prepare the cats for the 3-4 day journey if they went with us on the three-hour journey to the in-laws (nice people), and took the three-hour journey home a week later, or would this long period in the car and away from home be unnecessary stress and they would be better left at home to be checked on every day by a neighbor?
Answers:
I wouldn't take the cats to your in-laws as I think it would be added stress. What I would do is start getting your cats used to a cat harness and leash for traveling. That way when traveling you can give them breaks from the cage without worrying about them getting away in a strange place. Give them only small amounts of food and water at a time throughout the day to avoid car sickness.

When I moved with my cat it was only 300 miles but it took her months to get back to her old self. I think the new place is more stressful than the traveling. It's like someone dropping you off in a foreign country and you having to learn your surroundings.
i've never had much luck trying to get my cats to travel well. You can talk to your vet about a sedative or check into something called felaway. I know they have something for in the house. I don't know if they have a spray for the car. but it helps release the feirmones that help keep cats calm.
I don't know if my Stimpy is just different but she set up on my shoulder when we drive. She DIDN'T like coming all the way from Alberquerky to Clinton OK . TOO much confinement I guess.
I'm not sure about taking them to your in-laws. I doubt that would really prepare them too much for the cross-country move. I just moved my 3 cats (and 2 dogs, 2 rabbits and 3 fish) 1800 miles and they did just fine. I had them each in their own carrier (good sized so they could move around a bit) and we stayed in motels every night.lots of 'talking' but they made it with no problems.Good luck!!
I moved my cats from Michigan to Florida and from South Florida to Georgia. The best thing I found was a SEDATIVE. They were much much more at ease especially the second time around.
you'd better leave them at home FOR SURE.I had this problem with my cat after the journey she became so mean that we couldn't have her any more and she really made as mad during the journey
so you don't make my mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment