Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cats and dog?

I am going to share a house with a work colleague.
He has a young big female dog, and I have two older cats. I am really afraid the dog can do something to them. My friend says the dog is very playful but docile, and has seen before cats without problems, i know my cats get quite anxious and violent with dogs.
What is the best way to deal with this?, try to get them together quickly?, separate them from the beginning?
Answers:
Go to: www.littlebigcat.com and read Dr. Jean Hovfe's article titled "Cat to Dog Introductions". I am sure it will include all and maybe more of the suggestions that you get from the kind people here.
let them at each other right off

unless the dog really is a cat chaser you are just fine .. animals sort of have to fight to get along i have 3 cats and 4 dogs and they have had to attack each other a few times before getting used to each other

it may take awhile but hang in there they will get used to each other

good luck! :D
I have 4 cats and introduced a puppy - that was no problem. Introducing a full grown dog will be a hurdle but it is possible with patience.
Keep them separated at first, then, slow introductions - maybe douse the dog in tunafish oil! (Cats will love the dog then!)
Good luck!
>^..^%26lt;
if your cats don't like dogs i would say keep them separate to avoid confrontation and worrying your cats. good luck
Cats by nature, DO NOT GET ALONG WITH DOGS. Someone visited my house and brought her dog along and the minute the dog saw my cats ran after one of them and almost killed it, if i had not been there to pull the dog out of my cat's neck the dog would have killed my precious Bruin. Anyway in my opinion DOGS should be completely separated from CATS.
When I introduce a dog to my cats I usually put the dog in a kennel and let the cats sniff it and hang around the kennel until the dog kind of gets used to the smell of the cats. Then when I let the dog out, I have it on a leash so the cats are safe. If the dog is not too hyper, shouldn't take long for all to adjust.
usually, the cats will dominate the dog in that circumstance
The best way I think is to put one cat in a room, then have one of you walk the dog into the room. The results in this testing vary between dogs and cats alike.
It all depends on the dog. Many dogs get along fine with cats but some hate cats and can be aggressive towards them. Alot of dogs like to try to play with cats. But the cats often don't see it as play and may claw first and ask questions later. I would watch them very closely for the first several days and separate them if no one is going to be home. Eventually they should get used to each other. However if the dog is very territorial it would be a really bad idea to bring other animals into its environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment