Friday, July 31, 2009

Cats drinking bath water?

Does anyone have a problem with your cat drinking bath water? My cat gets clean bottled water to drink. I make sure their bowl is washed out from time to time. But both my cats drink out of the the bathtub. And I notice they drink out the tub only when I am in the bath! I can run water in the tub and forget about it and let it sit there and they wont drink it. But the moment I get in..does anyone else have this problem and what have you done about it?
Answers:
Both my dogs do this also, and both my mom's cats that I grew up with, no matter how much water they have in their bowl they would rather drink out of the tub or the toilet. I asked my vet, and he told me that there is a medical condition that many cats and dogs have that is basically just an obsession with water. It also can be a sign of other stuff going on, to test for this they'll take your pet in in the morning and not give him/her any water for 12 hours, then test their blood/urine.
I had a siamese mix that used to lick the water off the shower walls when I was in the shower. It didn't bother me. Just be greatful that they aren't jumping in the bathtub with you, I had a kitty that did that too.
Hi there.many cats love the fresh running water from sink faucets, toilet water instead of water from their water dish. Cats are silly critters.sometimes they like making sure you can watch them while having a sip or snack.

Some pets water love the fountain as a nice alternative: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=pet+.
Mine do it too.

A lot of cats do.
I can't leave a mug of tea down.My cat will drink it!
i think it may just be a weird "what are you doing soaking in water ON PURPOSE?!" thing. mine just hangs out in the bathroom and sometimes walks back and forth along the edge of the tub (paces). if i lie back and don't say anything for awhile, she yells at me (maybe to check that i am still alive and not drowning). maybe your cat is trying to bail you out of all that silly water in the only way it knows how. drinking it. i don't know, sometimes cats are just weird! maybe it just wants to hang with you, but on the dl like "i'm just drinkin' water. what?"
As long as they arent drinking out of the shitter I would be happy.
Bottled water? I thought my dog was spoiled.
Yes one of my cats does this although he doesn't drink everytime i bath he does sit on the edge of the tub with his tail in my water i don't do anything about it i think its cute he likes to take baths
Haha! Cats are really funny sometimes. I know my cat likes to drink water from odd places like off of plant leaves right after I water them, or when a faucet is leaky (dripping water fascinates kitties).

It sounds to me like your cats like being around you, and when they come in to see what you're doing they then notice the bath water and think to themselves, "Oh, look, it's boss soaking in a drink! Two birds with one stone..?" Who knows.

By the way, I applaud your obvious concern with giving these cats the best care possible (bottled-water thing). I work at an animal shelter part-time and it's always a pleasure to meet a good pet owner. Really though, it is not necessary..they will be just as healthy with clean tap water. It's up to you though. If your conscience rests easier knowing your fine felines are being refreshed by super-oxygenated bottled water with added minerals, well, Ozarka away!
:-)
I used to take big hot bubble baths and Saphie would always sit on the side of the tub content to purr and sleep, as long as i didn't pet her with my wet hand! She got sick once from drinking the soapy water, and wound up with indegestion problems for a day or two. Another time she singed her fur on one of the candles I had lit so I could read. And the inevitable, she falls asleep sitting on the side and falls in!

There's nothing "bad" about letting your kitty drink the water, but now I keep all the soaps,oils, and salts out of the tub unless I lock her out. (in which case she YOWLS at the top of her lungs) I've found that even after buying her the fancy water fountain with the cool, filtered water she still likes to drink bath water when I'm in it. *shrug* Maybe its just another way they are trying to be close to us, without actually having to (yikes) touch the evil water.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I thought my cat was the only strange cat in the world by drinking my bath water! Thanks for letting me now that he is not the only retarded cat out there! LOL! But for real though, he has began to vomit later if I allow him to drink bath or if he licks the faucet (bath, sink, doesn't matter) or if he doesn't just drink solely from his bowl. It is hard for me to do this as my cat has horrible separation anxiety and always tries to follow me to the bathroom, or snywhere else. Can anyone tell me why he has began vomiting just recently? I know he hasn't been sick although my Persian got sick in August from drops my husband put in the cats' water to freshen their breath. It didn't work and almost killed my persian, Missy. Yje cat that drinks the bath water is Vorenus and he is a Ragdoll. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete