Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cat with pneumonia?

We just brought our 8 yr old cat home from 3 days at the vets.She had a complete blood workup+x-ray and they drained her lungs, but no idea what caused this. She has never gone outside.We do have 1 cat who does.The vet said it might diabetes. Anyone have a similar experience?
Answers:
If they did a complete blood work-up,it should have shown if she has diabetes or not.In regards to the pneumonia,I've had a few cats with it and they've recovered after treatment with antibiotics ,diuretics and force-feeding.I had to force-feed one of mine for two-weeks with baby food,using an oral syringe,and give her Nutrical as well.If you put her in a cat carrier or cage and run a warm-steam vaporizer next to the cage,this helps with the congestion,but you have to make a sort of tent around both cage and vaporizer to make sure that the steam gets to the cat.Don't put it too close to the cage though,you don't want to scald the cat.The cat I had to force -feed not only recovered,but got quite fat from all that baby food!Hope your kitty feels better.
I actually do have a cat that they think may pre diabetic (whatever that means) Did they do a MRI on her as well? That may be a good idea given her age. I just lost a cat of 19 years and have an 18 and a 16 year old still with me.

I wish you and your little girl all the best.
My cat Leo had pneumonia several years ago with no known cause as well. I noticed he was having problems breathing and rushed him in to the emergency vet's on a Saturday. The vet said it was a good thing I didn't wait till Monday cause his right lung had completely shut down and the left one was going. He said he would have died if I hadn't brought him in. They gave me some antibiotics and breathing medicine and sent him home after 2 shots and he got better. He hasn't had any more problems like this since. He doesn't go out a lot either.

No comments:

Post a Comment