Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cat won't use the litterbox.?

My one year old cat butterball will not use the litterbox. she used it for 3 months when she was a new kitten and then stopped and has never used it agian. She goes all around the area near the litterbox and pees and poops all over the room her litterbox is in it is disgusting. I can't take it anymore. She is afraid to go outside she cries pitifully but I am going to put her outside(or take her to the pound). I'm giving her one last chance I cant take this nastiness anymore. She has been a housecat since she was a kitten but she acts like a filthy alley cat. Has anyone ever gone thru something like this??.. and what are your suggestions.
Answers:
try " cat attract cat litter",it attracs cats to the box and encourages cats to use it.Its available at most petsmart or petco,try it!! adn if your going to give her to the pond,dont..think how will someone else want a cat that wont use the litterbox?? they wont,trust me and then she will be in the pound forever and a day.put the cat down.
I know exactly what you mean. There could be a few things going on here. It could be that she is not happy. I know it sounds funny, but whenever my cat is not happy with me, she pees on the floor. Another reason, could be she has a bladder infection, you should see your vet. Also, keep the litterbox REALLY clean, some cats are picky. One more that I know of, is she fixed? Sometimes a cat will go outside the litterbox if she is in heat.
Have you taken her to the vet?
cats will sometimes stop using the litterbox when ill cause they associate it with what's making them sick
my cat stopped using the litter box at one point and he had urinary tract disease

other tactic to try is move the litter box to a different room, switch the brand of litter you use, and for the room he keeps going in clean the carpet two or three times and put cat pee spray on it on a daily basis for about a month to get rid of the scents.
Ask your cat's doctor
darling just change the litter is the case fancy or just plain well i got to tell you i had a similar experience about 10 years ago with my tom and he was 3 already when he started acting funny hm does your kitty smell and then run or walk away get in touch with me if possible so that i can better answer your question if not then you have to take her to the vet before you do anything that you might regret later! good luck darling!!
could be sick. don't give up. make sure that u clean it out every day, don't be lazy about it. talk to a vet before u give her to the pound.
Try a different litter with her. One of mine had a prblem till I found litter he liked. She could be sick. Get the vet to check her. She also could be upset with you about something. Another of mine did it whenever I scolded her. Maybe she wants your attention. Try a few more things before you give up on her though! Best of luck to you both.
There are very many things that can be wrong,.. I will list the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

The Smell of the Cat Litter,.. some Cat Litters put things in that burn eyes, soficate, or a cat is allergic to,. this also could be hurting their anis and urinary tract.

The type of Cat Litter,. I couldn't stand this one Cat Litter that was recommended and the breeder used,.. the Cats didn't like it much either. When your feet/paddings are soft and you walk on certain things they get caught in your skin, they cut you up,. some Cat Litters may make your skin dry and crack.

There has been alot of fighting in reality so excuse me if I don't type as much as I could. I'll just skip on to some suggestions,.

When you catch your Cat in the Act, stick her in the Litter Box. trap her in it until she finishes or she may make a mess. Normally people will just say keep sticking her in,.. but that doesn't seem to work too often and it becomes a Game and she gets Attention out of it,.. It just doesn't work right.

If other Cats are wandering around outside. they may be makeing her nervous (she could be going everywhere because she hears and smells them outside). If she has a fear of the out doors. DO NOT PUT HER OUTSIDE,.. alot of people have the opposite problem and have trouble getting their cat indoors. While out doors,.. she could be raped or attacked and contract diseases and viruses,.. as time goes on the effects of them will get worse includeing Lukimea and Cancer. So don't put the cat outside.

You may want to TAKE YOUR CAT TO THE VET to have her checked. She may be sick and they may be able to fix the problem in less then a month then tell you to stick her in the litter box every time she has to go or has an accident,.. then a month and a week from now she will be going in the litter box all the time.

Lastly if she just doesn't want to deal with Litter there are alternatives like haveing shreeded paper in your Litter Box or teaching her to use the Toilet (yes your Tiolet).
What I would do is put Butterball in the litter box so then she knows to use the litter box. (that may sound mean but it tells your cat to use the litter box. I wouldn't shove her in there because that would be mean and then she might not use the litter box.) I have went through the same thing before so I know how you feel. Also have you vacuumed around the litter box because if there is litter on the floor around the litter box then, well my cats if there is litter around the litter box then they go on the floor but once I vacuum then they go in the litter box. I that doesn't work then I would probably put her outside as long as she is not de-clawed. Because if she is de-clawed then she can't defend herself.
Hope it works. (It worked for me so I hope it works for you too.)
Good Luck!
P.S.- My cats are fixed and neutered and once I did the above they used the litter box and they still do and you are suppose to clean the litter box daily so if you don't do that then that could be another reason why Butterball is not using the litter box. I would get her fixed if she is not already. Also, if you have more then 1 cat like if you have 2 cats (just for future reference) I would get another litter box. It works a whole lot better than 1. Or you could call your vet and see what they have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment