Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cats and urine!?

My 5 year old cat, for some reason stopped covering up his 'pee' after going in the kitty litter..it smells awful, and now i am covering it up myself..anyone no why..i don't think he has a uti(urinary tract infection), healthy otherwise.
second question..in the last few years he has started biting visitors.i am disabled, so this includes homemakers, meals on wheels, etc.know why? he even bites me, especially when i cut his nails..i don't think male cats are as affectionate, but i don't know why he is doing this..
Answers:
Hi! I have 6 housecats so I consider myself an expert! I have 2 males, 4 female, all very different. if the urine smells bad, it COULD be an infection and probably is. One of my females has FLUTD, a urinary tract disease. I know when she has a flareup b/c she pees in the bathtub and it doesn't smell nice! My advice: get your kitty to the vet. They have a way to extract a specimen if you can't get one. One way to get one is to get a clean litter box and use clean pebbles, like in an aquarium so you can get the urine.
Anyhow, do it ASAP! As far as the biting, are you clipping the nails too short? If so, it does hurt. Are you holding or petting him too long? Nipping is a way to say, Ive had enough!
Good luck!
Contact a vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment