Friday, July 31, 2009

Cat's too smart?

My Maine Coon Dixie has learned that the key to opening the door has something to do with the knob. Everytime she wants out, she jumps up and grabs it. I've seen cats on the funny video shows open doors like that and I'm afraid she'll figure it out and get out one day without my knowing. Does anyone's cat open the door like that? She also opens cabinets and jumps into the clothes dryer when I open it (which could end up fatal for her if I don't see her one day and turn it on).
Answers:
I had to remove everything from under the kitchen sink because our cat throws it out on the floor every night! Today he very thoughtfully unrolled an entire roll of toilet paper. It must not have been soft enough, so he shredded it for me too! That's Max!
See him here:
http://www.funnypetpictures.com/pets/200.
As for your concerns, I think putting her in another room before opening the dryer is a good idea. As for the door, try putting a wedge under the door. We happened to purchase one of those home alarm systems at Biglots for a couple of dollars. It came with a "wedge" alarm for the front/back door. I guess a wood wedge would work just as well. When you are home, just place it as close to the door as you can, and it will not open! As suggested earlier, lock the door when you leave.
Keep your doors locked when you aren't home to make sure she doesn't esacpe and make sure to check for her in the dryer every time you use it.
My cats can open cabinets, but not doors.
My Calico DSH actually wets the pads of her feet to get a better grip and turns knobs. She opens cabinets and throws things out the door so she can hide and has recently figured out how to get into the sliding closet door. I have had to put deadbolts on most of my doors, child locks on the cabinets and I have no idea what to do about the sliding door. I haven't been able to take a shower with the door closed in 2 years.
yes
there is something you can put on the doorknobs. i can't remember what it is exactly, it looks like some sort of soft cover. I think it's made to prevent toddlers form opening doors. Hmmm. Maybe someone knows what I mean?
Get a chain lock, and maybe some baby safety stuff for cupboards.
I used to have a pair of cats who knew how to open the folding doors to get at the food!
Cats are sooooooo smart. I just did a video clip of a number of them walking into cat traps, eating the food, then walking back out without getting trapped.they know not to step on the plate that triggers the trap door shutting.
YOu can see the video by going to my website at http://www.kittiesinthehood.com. then click on the "kitties laugh at the cat trap makers" cat clip link!
My cat does the same thing with my bedroom door. What I do is throw something at the door to keep her for opening it .you could try that to keep your cat in the house, but to keep her out of the washer don't let her follow to the washer just use the same trick again.It should work like a charm.
Cats are really clever that way. You can get a doorknob cover (it's available where they have stuff you use to child-proof the house). As for the dryer, I would try putting her in another room as a gate probably wouldn't work (cats like to jump).
My Boo never got the hang of round doorknobs (too slippery), but levers and pushbuttons were quickly and easily mastered. My new little guy is not tall enough to reach knobs yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment