Friday, July 31, 2009

Cats purring?

Does anyone know, scientifically, what it feels like for a cat to be stroked? This sounds bizarre, but it's just that our cat seems to get so much pleasure from it and acts like it's one massive orgasm! Do you think that's what it feels like for them??!
Answers:
I think it's because it reminds them of when their mum used to lick and groom them when they were kittens. when i stroke my cat he does the sort of pounding marching thing with his front paws which is what they do to encourage milk from their mums when feeding!! Thats what I think, I remind my cat of his mummy!!
Maybe there is a hormonal influence, because I've found cats either are or aren't in the mood for stroking.
I thought it was more like when you have an itch and someone else scratches it for you. Always feels better that way.
if you itch you scratch if you scratch a bad itch you smile cats purr as a show of affection for your help .
Cats purr when they are happy. Nothing more, nothing less.
We have 3 cats. 2 of them like almost unlimited stroking, the other has to be in the mood, and even then does not like it for long. I suspect that it feels similar to what a back rub does to us. I know that I get great pleasure form a backrub (I'd probably purr if I could)!
It's the same pleasure you would get from a body masage (not of your sex organs).
the sex gland is just below the ears..
There's no science behind it other than the fact that we all have nerve endings in our body that stop at the surface of our skin. That's our sense of touch. Cats have the same sense of touch that we do. But every cat is different, just like people. Some people love to have their hair stroked or brushed.others hate it. Some cats love to be brused or stroked, others hate it. The are no sexual nerve receptors on a cats head and back, so I don't think your kitty is orgasmic from your caresses. It just feels nice!
Cats dont just purr for pleasure though. They also purr when they are anxious or scared.
well am not sure bout orgasmic experiences, but i do know that to be stroked is a sign of affection, and cats really enjoy the sensation!
I agree with Sianny, your cat thinks you're his mum. I also agree with seren; cats don't just purr because they're happy. One theory is that they purr when they're getting attention, which explains why they often purr when they're in pain and being treated at the vet's.
Thats a good question..I have 3 of my own and one acts exactly the same. I can only imagine that it really is pure bliss for them.x.

No comments:

Post a Comment