Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cat with nasty coat?

The feral cat that was in my backyard let me touch him, but his coat feels all gooey. It's doesnt look dirty, and it look neat, but it has that nasty feel to it. Should I continue to pet him, or try to comb it?
Answers:
Just like humans, what goes in must come out. If the kitty is a feral cat then he likely isnt eating too well. That will come out in the fur of the animal and skin. (think about when you eat badly for a week and how your skin feels)

Petting a cat helps the fur, and if you can gently brush it that would be good too. Get one of the brushes that looks like a brush for us. There are ones out there that will scratch his skin, and if it isnt 100% now, that may cause an infection. (they kind of look like a "slicker" those ones)

Good luck with kitty.maybe she can adopt you? ;)
give him ''blue'' brand cat food and yes pet him
I wouldn't try to comb him yet. but I would go to your local pet store (I recommend Petsmart, just because I work there!) and get the waterless bath foam - or wipes - to clean up your kitty. Once the kitty is used to being groomed (slightly) THEN I would make the attempt to brush him. If you approach him too quickly, then since he's feral, he could do one of two things - 1) he could go postal on you. or 2) he could just never come back. If you LIKE having him around, then I'd attempt the spa sessions slowly. let me know how it turns out!
Yes, pet him and afterwards, wash your hands. In the mean time, try getting him some "balanced and complete" cat food, get some flea treatment like Frontline, and try to make a pet of him. He is probably suffering from poor nutrition, worms and fleas. Grooming isn't the first priority to a feral cat.
You might want to get him in a carrier and take him into a shelter. Most importantly is to get him off the streets, and get him fixed and tested for FIV, FIP(no real test), and FeLUK(I dont think I spelled that correctly.) Then they can determin what is making his fur and skin feel gooey.
Good for you being nice to an abandoned cat! I am seriously impressed. Now if I were there, I would keep on with the wild kitty until I could give him a good brushing. If that didn't help, I would eventually give him a bath. Of course, I am a sucker for animals and I have a barn full to prove it. And only the horse and dog actually belong to me.
if it will let you it wont hurt it to brush it.if you see a big tangle do not try to brush it out it wont and it hurts ..if the cat allows it get a comb and put it trough it like you were to be brushing it and cut it off the comb will keep the scisors from cuting the skin they have very thin skin that cuts easily.i have been a dog/cat bather since 2000 and have worked with grommers for 8+ yrs tips i have learned the best thing is to shave the matts out but you MUST know what you are doing or once again you can/will cut them i have seen 10+ yr experinced groomer cut a cat before .it happens very easily look for a groomer to do the shaving ..otherwise do the comb thing .
brush the coat
Are you feeding this cat? He could probably use some good quality food. Combing will not improve this condition. He also could have an illness such as FIV or leukemia.

Neither of these illnesses are anything you need fear. They are specific to the cat species.

No comments:

Post a Comment