Friday, July 31, 2009

Cat's first Christmas - what about the tree?

It's my kitty's first Christmas - she will be 7 months old for Christmas. I will be getting a fake tree but any tips on how to keep her from knocking it over or tearing apart the ornaments?? She's a very playful kitty.
Answers:
LOL, I'm laughing now cuz I know exactly what you are gonna go through. And all I have to say is GOOD LUCK!
Cats are very curious little animals and the fact that they like high places doesn't help much either. Your best bet, make sure that the tree is secured in the base and if you want for extra security, take a hook and some fishing line and anchor the tree to the wall behind itself, that way if it does start to fall it will catch itself, and you won't see the fishing line.
All in all, have fun this christmas, because you'll get more of a laugh than you will get mad!
Good luck. I've tried so many different things. Nothing really works. You'll just have to wait it out.
it will have so much fun
My one cat SLEPT under the tree and that was it-my other ones tore it up and climbed it and hung from it. I agree with the above-you gotta just see. Good luck!
A water gun squirt her when she get near it
Move the expensive/breakable ornaments to the upper half of the tree. Get cheap/expendable ornaments for the bottom.

You may consider getting a real cut tree. A blue spruce has very spiky needles and will teach kitty to stay away.
Hi Jonela.here's a website which offers a list of suggestions on how to cat-proof your Christmas tree: http://www.showcatsonline.com/x/cat-proo.

and another:
http://www.actioncat.com/catprooftree.ht.
Put the tree on a pedistal. Introduce a new toy across the room if she shows interest in it. My cat used to sleep in my tree. (it was a real one).
1. Try to avoid putting anything on the lower branches. If you must, use sturdy ornaments near the bottom, and no lights or delicate objects.

2. NO TINSEL!! Tinsel can get caught in a cat's intestines and kill it. They make silver 'icicle' looking things to replace tinsel now, use those instead, or skip the tinsel altogether.

3. Buy one of those circular tree skirts, and lay aluminum foil under it. Cats don't like the sound or feel of foil, so when she steps on it, she'll run away.
Good question: if you can, keep her away from it. She's at least probably going to try and climb up- even if you keep the ornaments up high. I have 2 adults and I brought them home last Christmas when the tree was already up- it's a 3 foot fake tree so I suspect that the fact that it isn't too high helped because they really did not bother it. You have a spirited young one though- I'd try to keep her away from your tree if that's feasable.
I actually attach my tree to the ceiling with a hook and baling wire. At least that way when they get a running start from the other room to jump into the tree, it won't come toppling over.
I have four 14+ pound cats that all love the tree. I'd hate to think how they would feel about a Real tree.
My advice.Put it up just a few days before Xmas and take it down shortly after. And for the love of Pete, don't put any ornaments on it that you care about.
Good luck.
Peace
Watch out! She may chew the electric cords to the Christmas tree lights. Shiny ornaments may grab her attention. Avoid shiny objects, even the icicles. She may accidently on purpse eat them at your own fault!

If she has ever been outside, she probably knows the difference between real tree and fake tree. But cats are the curisosity type A to the max!

I wouln't use any glass ornaments in case she knocks over the tree and breaks those.

Buy her some new extra toys to play with.
well we do have the tech. hook up a close peremiter motion sensor to a mechanical barking dog.save the trees!
A spray bottle with Water
We always secure the tree to the wall with fishing line. Works every year! Good luck.
I've had this problem for years. You can try going to a garage sale and getting yourself a baby play pen and set the tree in the play pen, it helps by making it harder from them to access it. Also, I always take twine and wrap it around the middle of the tree and put eye bolts into the wall and secure it that way. It works, it doesn't fall over that way. Also if you are going to use glass ornaments, place them on top so if the kitty decides to play with them they can't really reach them, if the unbreakable ornaments are on the bottom then at least you can salvage them.
Keep most of the shiny balls off the bottom of the tree. Also avoid tinsle.. as my cats (now departed) used to eat it and they would have shiny strings well you know where! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment