Monday, May 24, 2010

Do cats hate lemons?

I want a safe and organic way to discourage my 2 kittens from ripping my carpet up and climbing the curtains, and I was told that they hate the smell of lemons. So I put a few drops of lemon essential oil on the carpet, and they smelt it and didn't seem particularly bothered. I don't want to use lemon juice, as this may go 'off' after a while. What else can I use?
Answers:
Hi there.some cats aren't bothered with certain scents where others are repelled by them. Apple Bitter is an alternative product you can try, however again it may or may not work so you'll need to experiment.

Here's what the product looks like which can be found at most pet stores: http://www.healthwizeforpets.com/images/.
I have heard that cats hate any citrus fruit, I used orange to discourage my kitten from pooing behind my tv and it worked.
Hiya Flossie
That's the first time i have heard that, There is a spray that you can buy in your local pet store. I haven't used them myself but i have seen them in the stores
you know its sense? what happen?
Pepper works.
I've heard citrus, orange peels work.
Do they have a scratching post made of sisal rope? Try one made of rope instead of just carpeted posts. I really feel the carpeted ones confuse them and set them up to start in on the floor carpets. Rub the new sisal post with catnip to encourage.
When you catch them using claws on the carpet, just tell them 'no, that's not a scratching post'.. gently pick them up and set them to using claws on the rope. Get one that is tall enough for them to stretch up on while they claw.
I usually shoo them away from the curtains and use a water spray bottle. Hadn't had problems about the curtains yet
i really cannot help you, am allergical for cats, so I do not know whatever they hate..may be you'll have more answers on your questions which can help you, good luck ..
Get a spray bottle with water in it and spray them everytime they do it and they will stop and it does not take long.
Ours have always freaked at all citrus - especially orange rinds -maybe try them. Better way is just to train your dear kitties - hard work for you, but worth it! Make sure they have a scratching and climbing post, and get out that water squirter!
I have used citrus in the passed - used lemon and orange peel skin (obviously replacing it as it goes off), and over a course of a couple of weeks, it deters the cats and they learn not to do it anymore. I then removed the peels altogether.

I have also heard you can use lemon scented soap etc. try rubbing it on the carpet for a few days to discourage them.

Although it is never easy to try and discourage cats to stop scratching!
completely irrelevant, but after your beautiful south answer, try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzdatuuop.

No comments:

Post a Comment