Monday, May 24, 2010

Do all Maine Coon cats attack their owner's bread and eat it?

My Maine Coon has gotten into my bread and eaten it since he was a kitten! I try to hide it and he finds it and tears the bag open and eats it! I finally purchased a bread box and put it up in a high place where he can't get it. I contacted the woman I got him from and she told me that his father does this too! Do all maine coons do this?
Answers:
My cat does this too..he is part maine coon.I think he likes the smell.its almost hypnotic to him.its crazy isnt it..I think their is some kind of nutrient they are missing in their diet that makes them do this.I started buying brewers yeast from the health food store and mixing it in the cat food bag.its not too expensive and a whole can does a 40lb bag.he seems to like it and he has stopped getting on the counter and eating my bread.it has also made his fir so much more beautiful!

He acted like he was STONED!
He used to just tear the hell out of the bag almost like he was mad at it and then put his nose in the bag and get all toxic and eat the bread, then just lie around just like he had eaten a bird and he was proud as could be.

Try the BREWERS YEAST.

Good luck

vote for me if you like my answer.k.
lol awwww that is cute, I guess he loves bread! I guess I wouldn't think it was to cute if it were my bread.
No. Thats sooo cute! But mine attacks bags! It sooo cute!
I do not think it is just a maine coon thing. I have a tabby who does the same thing. He used to jump on top of the fridge to get to the bread until we finally got a bread box.
it is a cat thing. place cat nip around somewhere else to distract him
I've never heard of that strange behavior - must be genetic. I don't think all Maine Coons do that. Pretty funny.
I think it is just a cat thing. When i had my cat she would jump on the counter and eat the bread we had lying around.
I had one, he also attacked bags of potato chip and would open all the packages of Tender Vittles he could find.

Him and the dog frequently conspired to get food, and then they would share it. They would also sleep together as well, the cat sleeping on the dogs front paws. It was quite a sight.
I have a friend who has a Maine Coon, and she states that hers is not like that, but I am curious if the sound of the plastic is more amusing to them than the actual contents itself. I also found a really great link for you for the breed. YOu can research and ask questions if you cannot find one you may be specifically looking for. It also has rescue links as well.

They are very unique, and should be cared for in a very special manner.
Funny cat! My plain old Tabby cat George eats the bread if I forget to feed him before bed time! I'm not sure if he has any maine coon in him, he's short hair and BIG 18lbs and not fat!
no, the problem might be that your cat might have some mental problems.or some genetic problem, you should probily send your cat to a vet. or he could be bored and thats his of telling you he wants more toys (cats are a lot like kids) walmart has a lot of cat toys you can buy.good luck
No, not all Maine Coons do this (I have 2 and they'd turn their nose at bread).It could be a bahvior she learned from her father as a kitten.


*
It is not so much that the bread offers something
not found in the cat's normal diet, but, more likely, that its diet is
lacking some essential nutrient(s) and the cat is trying to find a
food source to provide this missing nutrient.

Because they are true carnivores, cat's nutrient requirements are best
filled by their eating meats. There are some essential nutrients, found in
meats, that are not present or are not in sufficient concentrations in
plant-based foods. Some of these include the amino acid taurine (of which
meat is an excellent source with plants providing none), thiamine (meat is
a good source, cereals are a fair source), niacin ( meat is an excellent
source; the form of niacin in cereals cannot be utilized by cats), Vitamin
A ( again meat/liver is an excellent source; cats require preformed Vitamin
A, found only in animal foods) and protein (meat offers a concentrated
source of protein to satisfy the feline dietary requirements).

So, if there is sufficient meat in the cat's diet, then he probably just
likes the taste of a tidbit of bread which is okay as long as it is
only occasional and that the bread doesn't fill the cat to the point where
he cannot eat his meat-based diet.
I had a Maine Coon 10 years ago who enjoyed jumping up into my desk from underneath and climbing over the back of the large filing/folder drawer and into it. One day I opened the drawer to get my notbook out and there was Tuffy, laying on top of it with a bunch of pages torn out and tattered strips of paper everywhere.

I don't think it was beause she was a Main Coon, though. She was just like that. She also liked to hang out on top of the fridge and would pat the top of my head when I went to get a beer out, almost like she were doing a blessing.
Well, I don't know if ALL Maine Coons do this . but Daniel and Gracie (our two Maine Coon furrballs) do this . so we keep the bread in the refrigerator. They have also eaten their way into a Cheerios box and into a bag of Doritos.

I think they just like carbs.

Meow!
wow my cat does that. I have to put any bread product away or it will be on the floor with little toothmarks in the wrapper! Dont think its just Maine Coons, my cat is just a plain old rescue stray

1 comment: