Friday, May 21, 2010

Declawing a cat?

Firstly, please don't give me the speel about how it's bad to declaw a cat. I am very well informed of how it works, and I'm not asking for your opinions on why not to do it. That being said, here's my issue! My wife and I have a female cat who is 3 years old, we also have a male cat, the mother and father have three kittens we still have. Recently I returned from Iraq, and in the last month she has attacked me twice completely unprovoked. Today my wife and I were laying in bed discussing the cats and the noises they make and she suddenly out of the blue attacked my face. I would like to keep our cat because we both love her very much, but I can't have this cat attacking my wife and me. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks
Answers:
I understand your problem and your question. Under normal circumstances, there would be no excuse for declawing a healthy cat, but your circumstances are not normal.

If you do not plan to keep her kittens, I would try finding homes for them before you declaw. Sometimes, when a mother cat weans her kittens, she does not want them sticking around to invade what she considers her territory. She may be expressing her desire for you and your wife to get rid of the kittens. I have had female cats do this.

Also, softpaws work well, but generally do not last as long as they claim to. The cat generally removes them one by one over the course of about 2 weeks in my experience. Some cats will do this no matter how long they have worn them. Some get used to them right away, and they last longer.

If it comes down to declawing the cat or having her put down, do the declawing, but if she is not already an inside cat, she will have to be after that.

I am not wiccan, but I follow an eclectic path which includes earth-based values, and I know what an ethically-challenging decision this must be for you.

Good luck, and Brightest Blessings to you, your family, and your kitties!
Check out SOFT PAWS just google it
DONT DECLAW UR CAT.. IT TAKES AWAY SOME OF THERE JOINTS.. IF U DO UR HARMING UR PET .. DONT BE A JERK
I hope not, but maybe the cat likes the other guy more.
we had ours declawed because they were destroying everything we have mainly, but our cat is hateful and has left scars on people. he was mad for about a week after, but he soon got over it and acts the same as he did before, except now it is not so bad when he attacks
OMG..this cat is mental. All I know is I had an older cat that I declawed and I felt so bad for him. He was in so much pain. But under your circumstances I can understand why you would want too. As far as this behavior.geesh I'm not sure but I guess this is why I am not a cat fancier. Sorry for your misfortune and good luck. Piss the cat off completely and get a dog.LOL
Well try giving her more adjustment time to get used to you again. I declawed my cat and she never really forgave me. And it created a sensitivity in her paws, which might have been mental on her part. It did save the couch, though.
You didn't say how long you were gone, but it is possible that the cat no longer thinks you are part of the household. It may take some time. Are your cats spayed/neutered? That may help with the aggression issues. Unfortunately declawing a cat for aggression issues rarely solves the problem, it usually just turns the cat into a biter. (take away one defense/offense, they learn to rely on another). First, clip her nails so they are not so sharp, then,,, Try this, make sure you are the one to feed and tend to the cats for the next couple of weeks. Also, make sure when she acts out in an inappropriate way, discipline her. A squirt bottle works most of the time, along with a stern no. (yes, I know that usually it is said that the squirt bottle should not be associated with the owner, but I have found it is sometimes necessary for the pet to know from where comes the water) Good luck, and try to be patient.
Your kitty needs time to adjust to your presence. If your wife can trim her claws weekly and glue on SoftPaws it will help dull the claws as the first step. Next kitties are loyal to those who feed them. Have your wife hand over the responsibilities of feeding the kitties so she learns that you are a friend not foe. Offer her some delicious kitty treats (like fish jerky--pet store). She will then soon become more enamored with you and the vicous attacks will fade away over time. Some cats who are declawed who have existing vicious tendencies will turn to vicious biting to overcompensate for the declaw. It's commonly witnessed that after surgery cats associate the pain of their feet as the litterbox and litter causing the pain and thereby avoid using the litterbox altogether. Here's a fact sheet about litterbox problems and other behavioral issues as a result of declaws. http://www.goodcatswearblack.com/declawi.
ok while its funny she attacked while you were disgussing them this is a serious matter

declawing may not help becuase declawing infact heightens a cats fight or flight response. meaning it knows it has less defence so to compensate and not let "enemies" know it is weaker it may make a bigger show of agression (I knew a declawed cat who rather than run stood and fought a pitt bull terrier..)
declawed cats frequently become nervous biters.(I adopted one who was declawed before we got her and she does that)

is she spayed?? I am thinking that this might be the problem - hormones. I would look into that..

also you can buy claw protectors called SOFT PAWS (there are other kinds too)

declawing should be considered as a last resort to euthaniazia..
well i think you should declaw her because then she cant scratch you.
she might not know you because you were gone for a while
Not only would spaying solve the problem, it's the responsible thing to do. Surprised you haven't had it done earlier. My kitty randomly attacks, but I think it's funny. She's not old enough to be spayed, but I know another cat who attacked randomly and was completely 'cured' when she got fixed. Lots of agencies fix animals for free on certain days. It makes a lot more sense than declawing. You don't want her to get lost and killed in a catfight!
Try the soft paws.although I've been told they don't work very well and are a pain to put on.and they fall off.
If you try everything first.get the female spayed and declawed. I'm on your side here.it doesn't sound like you have a choice. The worst that will happen is that she will become more aggressive and start biting. But would she and you be any worse off then? It's either keep her whole and have her hurt you or someone else and have to be put down, or declaw her and possibly solve the problem.or have her put down. It sounds like she might at least have a chance with the surgery.
It is more difficult and painful for an older animal as opposed to a kitten. Ask the vet for analgesics--insist on them, in fact. Make sure to use shredded paper in the litterbox for at least a week after she comes home (the regular litter can stick to the incision and be quite painful).
I'm generally against declawing, because too many people do it for convenience. They don't want the trouble of actually teaching a kitten/cat to claw a scratching post instead of their sofa. But this is an entirely different problem! So if you feel that it would solve the problem, and you're out of options.go for it.
And thank you for serving our country--and welcome home!
I think you should get her declawed. I had my cat declawed because she not only destroyed our furniture but because she would attack our dog pretty badly. She was mad a bit at first when she realized her claws were gone but she got over it fast. She never had a problem with sensitivity or anything else. I think its the best choice.
a relative of my boyfriends had a friendly cat that starting to attack violently for no reason. they had to put her down because he had a tomor in her brain and it was only going to get worse.

take her to the vet and get a full physical and ask for his/her opinion. what's the point of putting the cat trough horrible pain if your situation isn't going to get better? she can still injury you with her teeth and you can't adopt her to another family.
I very, very strongly suggest getting the cat spayed whether you get her declawed or not. Intact cats tend towards this behavior. By declawing her and not spaying her you'll probably end up with a biter instead of a scratcher. Personally, I don't think declawing is the answer but that spaying should settle her down.

There's also a product called Feliway which contains a calming cat pheromone. I highly recommend it to anyone facing cat behavior problems. We had problems with territotial urine marking and aggression - this stuff worked miracles. You can buy Feliway at most pet stores or at your veterinarian's. Also you can usually buy it off eBay at great prices.
welll unless you have had her since she was born her past home could have been a bad experience for her and she might not trust humans (males) because of her experiences. if you have had her her whole life i dont know maybe she just needs more time to adjust. sorry i wish i couldve been more help.
Sure I may get bashed here by other people, but one of my cats started attacking and tearing up furniture and I had his front feet declawed. Yes I feel bad, but it was either that or find him a new home. I was well aware of the procedure and everything, but I am his owner and that was what I felt was best. Now he is just a happy cat and no longer acts badly. My furniture and face is safe and we are a lot less stressed. You have to do what you feel is right, and if you have tried every other option, sometimes you have to take the one that might not seem so nice. Just remember, you own the cat and there are certain consequences to it behaving badly. Sorry if that seems cruel, but life itsn't always fair and face it you are doing the creature a favor taking it in, feeding it, and loving it.
i don't think your cat is attacking you b/c you were gone.and WELCOME HOME. my kitty didn't attack my husband after he got back from a long deployment. declawing does cause the cat some pain she should a week or so after the surgery, meaning no pain, but it is a better option than putting her down. i don't think your cat is being mean it just sounds like she's a little frisky. but if you do have her declawed try just having the front done, just in case she gets out she has a little defense and can climb trees easier. take her on base to the vet they might be able to help you out with some options on declawing and they are much cheaper.if you are in the ft. bragg area the number is 910-396-9120.

No comments:

Post a Comment