Monday, May 24, 2010

Do cats ever wander off to die? I can't find my 18 yr old cat, he never leaves the yard. He wanted out bad.

His back legs were getting very fragile and weak, but he was still eating and drinking. I'm told that sometimes animals just know when it is their "time" and have a place picked out to pass away. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Answers:
YES.. ohh this happened to me.. One morning my cat kept getting out of the house and going to the bushes in the back yard, but I would go into the yard and pick him up and try to bring him back in the house cause he was an inside cat. the cat was acting so weak and weird and just didnt want anyone around it. I figured the cat was just being a cat and wanted to be left alone.. I went to school.. came home and couldnt find my cat, I searched everywhere. I finally found him in the bushes where he kept trying to runaway and he was gone.. I was so sad but I wondered the same thing. My friends told me the same thing your asking, that cats just know and they pick their place!
sad yes
yeah ive heard of it, i dont know if its their natrual instinct or they dont want to be bothered but yeah i heard it and i think its tru- srry if she is gone maybe shes playing with my other cat-
i have heard of that (my mom told me that once when i was a kid when one of our cats ran away). don't know if it is true, but i guess it would be possible.

i'm very sorry to hear that he went off.
Yeah, that happens. Poor kitty! :( What a long life though!
Yes, I have heard of this. I hope, however, that you still try to find your baby as he may need your help given his condition. Ask the neighbor kids if they have seen them, and anyone near you. Put up flyers, state that he has a medical condition and needs meds. (People won't keep a sick cat if they found him.) Say prayers. I hope your baby comes home. If he does, see your Vet. He (Kitty) needs your help and love. Best wishes.
i would have to say more than likely so. i know dogs do so i am sure that cats do the same. but in your case i hope your cat comes home. BEST OF LUCK and GOD BLESS
Yes, its sad but a cat will wonder off to die.
I have had several cats and sometimes, when they are sick, they think they need to find out of the way places to rest. I recently read that cats and dogs don't have the concept of death. They just think they are not feeling frisky or not. If you cat is gone, he would have just thought he was going into another cat nap.
Please accept my sympathy. I know what it is like to miss such a friend.
Yes , especially cats. I'm sorry he has been with you a long time, but you must have given him a very good life 18 is really old. You should be proud of how well you have looked after him for so long. But you never know sometimes they leave and come back to they can be very mysterious animals.
I do beleive that is true. I think of my cats did that too. It is sad but nature knows when to take care of its self. It wouldn't hurt to look for your kitty. Sorry about your baby.
some cats will wander off to die if they think that the owner will take it hard but they don't go very far away they will go maybe a mile or two
Yes, unfortunately that's what happens. My friend had a cat and, like yours, was really old and tired. One night he snuck out of the backyard and they never saw him again.

The cats, like humans, can usually tell when their time is up so they go and find a nice place to sleep.
All my cats have just disappeared. Don't know where they go. Don't think I want to.
Yes it is very common. They know somehow that it is time to go. I lost one, that came and told us goodbye. And one that was poisoned and he came and left before I could help him. I had a dog do this also. He went under a tree where his kitty buddy was buried. Sorry about your kitty.
Yes, you have my condolences, my 17 year old cat did that six years ago. I still miss her, she had such a sweet and gentle nature. We are FINALLY getting around to looking for another cat.

My eight year old daughter has a month long contract to fulfill with us before she is allowed to get one, but she is now 10 days into the deal and so far so good.

It is difficult when they do this, 'cause you are left now knowing for quite a while, and makes the transition through the grief strange and tentative.

But in answer to your question, yes they will do this.
most cats will wander off to die alone, just look around and in bushes and stuff and u will find him
yes sadly they do wander off to die.
I had the same thing happen to me with a cat. Cats are somewhat private animals and prefer to die alone.
Yes Ive heard this before, it seems like it would be very hard for you to deal with but I guess the animals in there own way feel it is whats best. Good luck to you and I hope at some point you find your cat so you will know what became of him.
My grandmother always had a cat. She told me when a cat is going to die, they always go away from their house. I was a kid when she would tell things like this. She really believed it. When the cats left and had been gone for a couple days, she would declare that cat dead and get another to replace it.

NOW that I look back, the cats could have been hit by a car or just run away. In those days cats and dogs were allowed to run loose.

I don't know if anyone has ever researched this, but I don't believe it. Good luck to you..
Yes, I have. Especially in cats. There are very independent animals. I have a 16 year old cat, and through my own experiences with him, he has hidden when he has gotten hurt, and I have had to find him, including getting hit by a car when he was 3 yrs. old. After I brought him in the house he went into a hall cupboard, and hid, and would have died if he had not gotten medical attention. His kidneys were severely bruised. I truly hope this is not the case, but, just in case it is, I'm truly sorry for your loss, I know that if my cat died, it would be like loosing a really cool friend, and family member, and I would miss him terribly.
This is SO true, A cat does know when they are going to die and yes they will go off to die alone , why I do not know , it's really sad but I 've had a couple of old cats to wonder off and never be seen again..
Yes ive had many cats that always stayed right in the yard and some that were strickly indoor cats that insisted on going out.to basically die.
18 isn't a bad innings for a cat. Yes they do often know when their time is near and find a place to go in peace. It is also probably true that cats actually are mans best friend. But they'd never stoop to admitting it.
Yes sometimes they do, it's very sad. I'm so sorry about your cat, I hope he's okay.
I used to always hear this rumor about the cats wondering off to die. I had a cat 16 years old that I found out his kidneys were failing. At the time there was nothing we could do about it. I was scared he'd go outside and disappear. He wanted out so bad, but I wouldn't let him. He died in my arms a couple of days later. Strange, it was exactly 11 years ago yesterday.

Anyway I always felt so bad for not letting him out. He always loved the outdoors.

A few years later I had another 16 year old cat that his kidneys were failing. I couldn't bear to keep him indoors. I let him out everyday. He came to me and died in my arms.

Since then I have moved to the country and have several cats die of cytauxzoan, a disease caused by a tick that has bitten a mountain lion and then a cat and there is no cure. Every single one of these cats came to me and died in my arms.

If you were very close to your cat, I don't think he would've went off to die. He might be hurting and unable to come home. Please keep looking for him. If cats are loved, I think they would rather die with their owners, from my experience. He could have gone out and not been able to come home. If you find him dead that doesn't mean that it was his intention to run away to die. You were lucky to have an 18 year old cat, none of mine have lived past 16 years old.
i've always heard this and i believe it
Yes, I read that cats don't like to die where they live so they go somewhere else. I've also had a few cats do this.
yes a majority of them will do this

3 comments:

  1. My cat is 20, and I haven't seen her in 5 days. I've looked everywhere in and out of the house. I have posted flyers, looked in shelters, and posted online. I just walked around the neighborhood again and looked in the bushes. How can a cat just disappear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our old, frail and very independent cat left the other night. Totally out of character, and without even saying goodbye! We dont know whether its an instinctual thing cats do but we suspect so, especially as she was such a home body. We have looked and looked within 100 metres of our house so she has either found a really good hiding spot or she has walked further than our seach zone. Its an immensely sad time which is further compounded by the feelings of not knowing where or why. For humans its all so confusing but for cats its probably a natural thing. Reading others posts oddly provides some comfort. Im almost motivated to do some research on tracking devices to avoid this happening in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 19 year old cat Left the house 4 nights ago. She was an indoor cat However I would let her go out from time to time for very short periods of time. For the past few months, after she ate she would vomit a few times. She would urinate on my carpet or rugs as opposed to utilizing the litter box. I Took her to the vet but didn't get a clear explanation or resolution. The night she left she was acting differently. When she was outside i saw another younger cat. I tried to get her inside before she spotted the other cat. Too late. She went after it and ran it into a bush. Both cats were growling and when I went to get her she tryied to bite me. She began running from house to house. I lost track of her. She is declawed, and she doesn't hear very well. I have searched for days but still cannot find her and wonder did she leave to die. My heart is broken. I just wish I could find her.

    ReplyDelete