Friday, May 21, 2010

Did Any of you had to put your cat to sleep? it hurts really bad?

my cat was 17 years old %26 had to put her down october 11th. Its hard to sleep with out her, what would you do?
Answers:
I had to have my cat Tiggy (about 7 years old) put down in July of this year. He was a stray that I took in and was the most loving animal ever! He suffered paralysis to his back legs due to a blod clot. What i saw happen to him was the most awful thing i have ever seen. I cried for days afterwards, everything reminded me of him. Couldn't sleep or eat but then I heard that a kitten was in desperate need of a home so I took her in. She helped to ease the pain of losing Tiggy. So that's my recommendation, get another one, it really does help. Obviously you can't replace a beloved pet, but you can help another one and give them the love and home that they need
There would be no replacing your original cat but a new kitten or 2 (2 are less trouble than 1). Your kitty would not want you to be alone.
I would have a good cry and then think about how she is not hurting anymore and how happy she is right now remembering that all living things will be in heaven. Remember all the good times you had with her and eventually get another pet to fill the emptiness. It will get easier as time goes on.
Sorry you lost your kitty, I know how bad it hurts. Just miss her and know she is not suffering. I usually cry a lot. When you are ready got to humane society or cat rescue and give another wonderful kitty a good loving home. I will be thinking of you and keep you in my prayers. Best Wishes
I don't know which is worse - having to put an older cat to sleep because of health issues or having to do it with a younger cat.

I only had my Spookie for eleven years. He was a neutered male and had mammary cancer which by the time it was discovered had metastasized to his lungs and he could not breathe. So I felt I had to euthanize him as I did not want him to suffer. The diagnosis and everything happened in just a two week period. After three years I still miss him lying in my arms and looking up at me with his blue eyes.

I do have other cats to occupy my attention. I am sorry you had to lose your cat and they are each special and irreplaceable. I know there is another cat out there who needs you badly and is waiting for you to make the decision to take another cat into your heart and your life.
About 7 years ago, I had to put my 18-year old cat to sleep due to illness . it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do,,, and I cried for days, missing her. I gave away all of her things and lived without a cat for about a year and a half. I just wasn't ready for another furry companion. I missed seeing her on the windowsill, waiting for me to come home. but I still looked for her, every day. (sigh)

Then one day at work, a co-worker asked if I knew anyone who wanted some kittens. her cat had four. So I went by her house, and selected two black and white fluffballs . brother and sister. and I named them Daniel and Gracie. That was in 2000. Daniel and Gracie are now wonderful, loving, HUGE cats (Maine Coon Cats, weighing about 18 pounds each) .. and watching them play together, sleep together, hang out together was just wonderful. and still IS wonderful.

But I still miss and remember that first cat.

(((( Hug )))) My thoughts and purrs are with you.
Yes. I had to put my Suzy to sleep back in 1997. She was 14 years old and was diabetic. At the time we had to put her to sleep she was very ill and slowly wasting away. She had lost all of her energy.

It hurts and you miss her a lot. It took quite some time to get used to her being gone.
We had another cat at the time. He grieved for her when she was gone. He would lie on her grave and also go down into the basement where she used to lie.

Sometimes I remember things my Suzy used to do and the feelings of mourning come back. You never really get over losing a pet. It's like losing a member of the family (which they are).

(((Hugs from another cat owner who understands)))
First, sorry to hear of your loss. I have been through that twice. I feel your pain.

My Mom put my first cat down when the cat was 21. I was 28 and living away from home. It didn't faze me because I wasn't around.

My husband and I had to put 'my' 2nd cat down when she was 7 due to kidney failure. Very tough to do. She kept urinating everywhere and was in pain. After we took her to the vet for a last check up I told my husband if she peed again outside of her box it was it was a sign she was ill and we need to help her. She peed again and my husband took her to the vet. I promised I would take his cat if that time ever came. I had to leave the house that day. I couldn't bear to see her go. I sent my husband with a blanket to wrap her in at the end because I thought she would get 'cold' and I didn't want her to be alone in the freezer while awaiting cremation. I know stupid, but that's how I felt. That day was very tough on my husband. He didn't want to answer my questions about what went on at the vets. He just said she went to sleep peacefully. After we put her down, we sat on the couch that night and I said "I think she pissed on the couch." We had a good laugh and then a cry. She really got even with us. She had never done that before so we knew we had made the right decision to free her from her pain. We had her cremated and held a 'burial' at sea. I tossed her ashes into the ocean.

Two months later we rescued a cat from the animal shelter. She weighed 5 1/2 lbs, like our cat we put down. Our new cat was malnourished, and came with a heartbreaking story. 8 years later I think of my other cat from time to time. She can never be replaced but she will always be remembered.

I dread taking my husband's cat (she's 15)when the time comes but as a pet owner it comes with territory.

Hang in there. Take time adjusting to life without her. If you get another cat make sure it's not a replacement. Love her for her own personality.
Having your pet put to sleep is so heartbreaking, I know. What a long life she had! For me, (I have 6 cats), I adopt another kitten . It helps knowing that a kitten has now got a home and it really helps to cheer me up.

You never forget your 'old friend', but you can focus your energy into giving another animal many good years.

Best wishes.
I had to put my 6 year old cat down a few years ago and it is terribly painful. I am very sorry for your loss. As cliche as this sounds, the exact same day my cat got sick, my husband found an abandoned kitten who was only 4 weeks old and weighed less than a pound. I swore up and down I was not going to get attached to that new kitten and told him to find it a home. It just hurt too bad to lose the cat I put down. Turns out, we kept the kitten, I nursed him to health and he is my best bud now. I still miss Gus, and think of him a lot, but the kitten helped to ease that pain. And having the kitten eased the pain for my son who was 7 the time. It may not be right for everyone to get another animal right away, but it worked for us. Good luck, and again I am so sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment