Friday, May 21, 2010

Cruelty free pet food?

particularly kitten/cat food. I just learned about IAMS and Hill's today. I want to buy my kitten cruelty free food, but it's either very expensive or I have to order it online. Any suggestions?
I posted this not too long ago and I doubt I will get any other answers.

People were being very rude and were also assuming I want my kitty to be a vegitarian. By cruelty I mean the testing P%26G, the owner of IAMS does on their animals. I want her to be healthy but I don't want to encourage those practices by investing my own money in it. Meaning I want to purchase food from a more ethical company. I DO NOT want my cat to be a vegan. If you have anything negitive or sarcastic to say do not answer this question. I have no interest in what you have to say and chances are it has no bearing on my question. Don't answer unless you can tell me something useful.
Answers:
I'm glad you're taking the time to be aware of what goes on behind the scenes at some of these big companies. When more people are aware of how their products are tested, hopefully it will lead to greater responsibility on the part of these companies to be sure they are performing their tests in an ethical manner.

Remember that a lot of studies done on live animals are done to test the safeness and efficacy of their products. They do not want to harm your pets with allergic or other adverse reactions to their food. They want the nutritional information to accurately reflect in the health and performance of your pet. Not all animal testing is cruel or unethical. PETA sometimes is biased for their own agenda.

Anyway, to answer your question: I don't know if you found the following list of companies on their website (see link below). A lot of these products are difficult to find and can be very expensive, as it sounds like you've discovered.

Another less costly alernative is a homemade diet. Be careful with this though - many veterinarians do not recommend them as it is difficult to create a balanced diet for your pet. Make sure you do a lot of research if this is the path you take. There a lot of websites that will help you with RAW or BARF (sounds terrible, but it stand for Biologically Appropriate Raw Foods) diets. Make sure you look at lots of these and find one that is reputable.

Michelle
CVT
IAMS has actually changed its ways it makes food.

Basically, the cruelty has occurred had 3rd party places. IAMS was made aware of it, and now has stopped the practices.

Many animal groups such as:
American Animal Hospital Association

American Kennel Club

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

American Veterinary Medical Association

Animal Medical Center

Canadian Federation of Humane Societies

Canine Companions for Independence

Humane Society of the United States

Foundation for Biomedical Research

The Kennel Club

National Animal Interest Alliance

All are allowed to visit IAMS places and make sure animals are NOT being hurt. (without calling in advance) If you skeptical.think of it this way: do you think the SPCA of America and Canadian Humane Societies would allow this to happen or allow their name te be used condoning animal cruelty? Not likely.

Because they have changed their ways, I have gone back to using IAMS. Both my vet here and others have recommended it. I do not trust PETA anymore because of some of their inaccurate information and actions of some of their members.

You need to make a choice.but remember.dont believe everything you hear.and remember.everyone makes mistakes and can make it better.
www.catfood.com
1. I got my cat when she was 5 weeks old, she is now 14 months old.
2. She has food allergies - I have tried various different kinds of pet foods (canned %26 dry) only to give them away.
3. Her diet consists of Canned Mackerel %26 Fancy Feast "Sardines, Crab %26 Shrimp", along with Meow Mix Indoor Formula (dry), she won't eat the other Meow Mix dry foods.
4. I got Cat recipes from the local library for Homemade meals, and that works too!

www.healthrecipes.com/pet_supp.
Ask your vet , they will know where to find it. Good luck and have a nice day.
No response to your question. But in response to your comment on mine. Yes, yes I do :P

No comments:

Post a Comment