Monday, May 24, 2010

do all cats "meow"?

I bought my cat when he was 5 weeks old and have had him now for a good few years. I don't know whether it sbecause he is trying to immitate my voice or what, but he doesn't meow at all, he goes "eh" - is that normal?
Answers:
Every cat has his or her own voice, and they don't all sound like "meow". You can understand what the cat wants from the noise he makes. Small nuances distinguish his typical comments: "I'm hungry, feed me," or "I'm in the mood for love, pet me," or "Ye-ouch, you just stepped on my tail." Some cats vocalize a lot, others almost never. If they are successful in getting us to obey their orders, our cats remain happy creatures. Except if they're in a bad mood and they decide to take it out on our ankles.
ask your vet
my cat squeeks
i think so
Well my cat would meow sometimes at night or when he was upset.
No, some go 'Mwahhh' when they get run over
try to have it with other cats!!
Yes he's trying to become human so he can have a scientific conversation with you.
Your lucky, mine goes quack!
I don't know if it is normal but it sure is hilarious!! Ha ha ha ha!
that's cute!
Cats normally meow. Maybe your hearing is off.
Yes, it is perfectly normal. Animials all have different personalities. Some cats are just simply quieter than others, just like some people talk less than others. I think you kitten is just developing, growing, so dont' worry!
um, I have no idea
Yes, that is normal. Giraffes are the only mammals incapable of vocalizations.
they can go woof! too ..no wait thats a dog..
Not all..I have two.ones a really talker he won't be quiet sometimes. But my other one (the youngest) doesn't really meow and when he does it is the cutest thing you ever heard. It's really high pitched and soft almost like a kitten. But I have noticed it sort of stains him to meow..so I think it depends on the breed.
we have three cats and they all make various noises. One even sometimes sounds as if she is saying hello. Or Sometimes just short noises from them. Just depends on what mood they are in. Our neighbours cat makes a horrible screeching sound.
Cats can make quite a variety of sounds. Like the answer above, my cat also squeaks and it also does the ehhhhh thing too. She is 15 so I think its normal.
When cats are taken from their mother too early (5 weeks is too early) they never "learn" how to meow. I had a cat once that didn't meow either and I had to teach him how to on my own. I sat with him and did the best I could to imitate a cat meow (I did a damn good imitation if I do say so myself). It didn't take long and he was meowing like a pro.
no, its not normal.
maybe because he was young at seperation from mother cat he hasnt been 'taught'.??
maybe he has vocal chord problems?
if you still love him, should it matter?
Cat's have a pretty large vocabulary.
The 'meowing' sound that our are referring to is usually heard when a cat is in heat. Tom cat's are a good example.
I have a feeling your kitty has been fixed and yes it is trying to communicate with you.
If you listen carefully he will have a different sound for different wants such as food going out being petted etc.
Young kitties don't always sound like the meow we're used to. Also, different cats have different "voices".
i would say yes he is trying to talk your language or something. you are his mommy after all.
does he have a hearing problem?
we have a cat that must think he's a dog because he tries to bark at the other cats. of course he does meow too.
I would definitely call the vet and at least ask.
All CATS ? i dont think i have heard a leopard ot tiger meoww and wouldnt want to be close enough to find out either,
Cats have as many voices as people. Some jibber and make clicking noises, some say "eh" or "uh", some yodel (Siamese and Siamese-crosses!!) and some meow, and the variety of meows is amazing.

You're cat might not have a lot to say. Sounds like I'm being stupid, but it's true. Some cats (like some people) just have a lot more to say. We had a Siamese who had a LOT to say every day ("yeooowelll"s) and her sister would just make a little grunting sound once in a while. We even had her to the vet to check her vocal cords and throat for a tumour or something but she was fine.

Look at AFV (America's Funniest Videos) sometime -- their animal segments have cats (and dogs) who make a huge variety of noises, including one cat that said "nooo no no no no" and another that said "ma ma".
My cats are mute.The presents they bring you into the house ie: a frog or a well gummed mouse or sparrow they seem to like, so with that in mind why don't kit e kat or whiskers sell mouse, sparrow (Bird) or frog flavoured food?
that is normal especially becaUSE HE HAS A NEW OWNER.
let me ask a cat about it..
I've seen many kittens who couldn't "meow". All that came out was screeching sounds. But in most cases it comes naturally to them later. Especially when they are looking for food. :-)))
Some cats sound wierder then others. I have one that sounds like he's crying, not mewing. It's nothing strange or wrong, don't worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment