Friday, May 21, 2010

do 2 male cats same age (2 yrs old) both neutered get along together?

if they do, what suggestions would suggest i try. one male cat has been with my wife and i for 2 yrs. the other one is adopted.
Answers:
They will either be the best of buddies in time or just learn to co-exist in the same house. It's like putting two strangers together, there's a 50/50 chance they will get along.

I've always just let them sort it out and after a few days they either got along or just avoided each other.
No
Keep them both. If they get along together thats great.
I introduced my new adopted cat to my other cat in a quite room. I provided some boxes for them to hide, just in case they get fight or scare. My cats are settle in quite well. The first couple week, they made aware to each other. But now they sleep with me every night in my bed.
it all depends on their personaltity, but time heals all conflict. dont be scared if they fight like dogs the first couple weeks, just break them up.

the easiest way is to seperate them until feeding time, then feed them in the same room, evey day put the bowls closer toghether. it takes awhile but its efficient.

but they may very well get along if one is submissive right away. to animals there always has to be a leader, usually the one that everything smells like. nutered males take time but absolutely get along in harmony.

good luck!!
Yes , They can mew about old times when sex was good.
I know some people think cats , dogs need to be neutered but to me it seems a little cruel. They have feelings same as humans do.
I don't see why they wouldn't get along tho.
Might be something I don't know.
You could ask a vet, I'm sure they can tell you.
I have three male neutered cats and two male neutered Dachsunds. We are all one big happy zoo!

I only had a problem with two male cats when I brought home a rescued female kitten. I had to adopt the female out.
the older cat is going to defend his territory ,he is the alpha male if the younger kitten is submissive,you will be fine if not and the kitten has an aggressive nature ,then you are in for some fireworks ,but eventually they will work it out on their own
I heard this great, great suggestion. Why don't you go out and buy some catnip from a grocery store found in pet supplies aisle and rub them all over so they will smell the same. And get a small dish wash rag and rub it on each cat then rub on them the other way so they both will have each scent on them. But since catnip is their favorite "additive" candy (I assure you, it's safe, my cats love them) is the best way to get them used to each other quicker. (It is a GREAT way to be entertained by them. I love to watch my cats gettin' crazy over catnip. Funniest thing ever. Ok, back to the subject.) Another thought.If this haven't happened yet, they are likely to get in fights in order to determine who is the bigger, stronger, and better cat to be the boss of the house. If you interrupter their fights, it may delay the determination between them two. So if that happens, I'd suggest to leave them alone to work their differences out unless it gets too serious. But especially having 2 male cats, they definitely do need to decide who is the alpha. After that happens, they should be fine. They might won't be best of best friends, but they will be more likely to tolerate each other.
They probably won't like each other right off the bat. Make sure that you both are giving your own cat extra attention. Also, make sure they have their own litters and drinking bowls.
Your cats will probably be hissing at each other first. Over time, they'll learn to exist. My two male cats didn't get along at first. You can do things like spray them with a little water if they hiss, so they know that it's not okay. The hissing will subside. Over a course of few months, I slowly made my cats hang out with each other. If I had one on my lap and the other one came near they would jump and run out of the room. Well, I slowly held the cats kind of loosely to let them know that it's okay to stay and not to run every time they see each other.
Cats are stubborn, but you can show them it's okay with lots of attention and affection, and a little discipline. (most people forget that last part and let them get away with anything)
If you have any more questions your local library is probably stocked with Cat Behavior kind of books. check it out!
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment