Thursday, May 7, 2009

cat spray in the carpet??

Okay my house is starting to become overrun by fleas..i have this hartz 2 in 1 flea and tick cat spray that i put on my cat and it says not only can you put it on them.but that you can use on their bedding and other areas as needed.i was wondering if it would hurt anything to spray it in my carpet?
Answers:
I agree that you have to use a product like Frontline or Revolution on your pets. Hartz is not safe to use on cats and isn't effective on dogs. They say that it is, but I have heard to many reports that it isn't safe. Also, you will need to replace the bag in your vacuum after you vacuum every time until the fleas are gone. You can be picking up larvae and it can reproduce in the bag and actually spit fleas out when you are trying to suck them up. Try using a flea powder for the floor, or a solution of boric acid and salt. This will dry out the eggs and larvae thus ending the flea life cycle. Good luck!
ADVANTIX for cats is better.it will kill the source of the fleas.plus get rid of ticks and mosquitoes.
Check the label to see if there are warnings to use on fabric or carpets (discoloration, etc.)
Doubtful, but I wouldn't use a whole lot. Have you thought about having the house bug bombed? It might be a smart idea to do that to get rid of them, then use the spray to prevent them from coming back.
Find an area of carpet that isn't too noticeable and spray some of that stuff on it. If it doesn't stain the carpet, they it is safe to spray on your carpet.

An alternative to consider would be to get some Frontline Plus or Advantix for each of your animals. Apply it as directed.be sure to get it right down on the animals skin.not just on the fur. This stuff doesn't just kill the fleas on the animal, but in the animal's environment, as well. Most of the fleas in your house are not on your animals. They actually just jump on the animal to feed and fall off when they are full. With the flea spray, you are only getting the fleas you manage to hit that are on your animal at the time. The Frontline or Advantix, will kill every flea, everyplace your animal lays, or as they jump onto your animal. They even prevent flea eggs from hatching and kill flea larvae before they can develop into fleas.

These products can seem expensive. Just stop for a minute and count up how much you would spend for bombs and flea spray and still maybe not get all the fleas. In the long run, the Frontline or Advantix are less expensive. You apply it once a month, the fleas go away, and don't come back.
I use Frontline Plus on my animals and just vacuum the carpets, couch, chair, mattresses (You get the idea). I waited too long to get my animals started with the Frontline one year and the house was infested. I just used the Frontlline and the sweeper. Worked great!

1 comment:

  1. What an informative article and what sounds like a great product! My dogs and cat are my babies,
    and I try to keep them as clean as possible, but somehow, they are still fleabags. Pet care is no joke!
    I have always been wary of using chemicals on them, and it seems like I have the best solution now.
    I am definitely going to try out the
    We can use Jasper Flea & Tick Spray For Cats
    inorder to get rid of flea and ticks from cats.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete