Thursday, May 7, 2009

cat problems?

My cat knows how to push down the knobs on our water cooler. He keeps on doing it till the truft is overflowing. I tried to stop him with a spray bottle,ground hot pepper on double sticky tape. Taped on the knobs. I even tried hanging tin foil over the area where the knobs are. Nothing works he is still going after them. Does anybody have any suggestions other then what I tried?
Answers:
Cats like running water and prefer drinking it to still water. Buy him is own water fountain. They cost about 拢30. My siamese used to bug me to turn on the taps every time I went to the toilet, but since he's had his own drinking fountain he doesn't bother with the taps any more. Good luck.
oh man, that's great. stupid cat. I'm so glad mine don't do that. but okay here's the deal, take you cat, put his paws on the knob and tell him NO! tap him on the head. then put his paws up there again, and repeat No! and tap, until he gets the idea and won't put his paws up there. it might take a while, but it's training.. he'll get it. this method also works to preserve couches. I have 9 cats and leather couches in great shape for the past 3 years!
Can you not keep him out of that room? If no, why is your water heater out in a room? Its normally in a closet or in a basement or even some are outside? I dont know other than to say keep him out of that room, door closed. And/Or fashion something that can go over the knobs permanently. Something he cant tare off or push off. Boy is this a new one on me, I thought I heard it all.
lol.sounds like he's got a funny personality.
Move the water cooler..
put a cloth or something over the whole cooler..ya know " Outta sight-outta mind" kinda thing

good luck
cats dont like citrus smells so you could put something citurs smelling near the cooler? Or some peel. Good luck.
Spray bottle? Sounds like you need a whole bucket of icey water!
Have you tried putting small paper cups upside down over the taps? Once they've been on the taps awhile he'll lose interest and forget about them. You'll be inconvenienced for awhile having to remove them everytime you need to get water but it might be worth it.
see what they have in the baby proofing area? or maybe put something under the knobs? if he's doing this to drink the water you should get a pet fountain.
when ever the cat gets near the cooler, rattle a tin can with pennies in it, they hate that sound , this will deter the cat from wanting to be around the cooler (drinking water cooler , right?)
if the cooler it like the one where I work, it has a carved out area with 2 knobs. duct tape the entire opening with a piece of card board while youre away
move the cooler to where it cant get it
What a smart kitty. You have tried all the things I would have suggested.. particularly a spray bottle with water.. that almost always works.. I know it might be a hardship for a while but you might try emptying the water bottle so when the cat does pull the handle, nothing happens.. The cat might get used to that and forget about doing it in the future.
Get him his own pet fountain. I know the water cooler where I used to work, the knobs came off pretty easily. Could you take them off and put them on top for easy access so you can get water, but the cat can't? If not I would try to put a hard cover on them (like a plastic cup) so he couldn't push them down. They might make something like that for a baby proof thing, try going to a baby item store like Babies R Us (don't know if they're in your area) and ask if such a thing exists.
Or this would be a pain, but could you get a piece of plexi glass and a couple of hinges and make a door to go in front of the cooler (I don't know how yours is designed) that you would have to lift up in order to get to the knobs?
put the cooler in a different room for a moth or two then return it back to the location it was before
thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment