Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cat question?

I recently got a new kitten. She is what my friend called torti colored (gray, black ,and orange) She's not calico b/c she doesn't have white in her fur. My friend, who is a vet's assistant, said she never saw a torti-colored cat who wasn't mean and stand-offish. Is that true? Has anyone else heard that?
Answers:
I beg to differ with your friend. Tortie's can be just affectionate and outgoing as any other cat. I have known some tabbies to be mean and stand-offish, what does that say about tabby cats?

I have fostered two torti mom's over this past summer. Both were extremely affectionate, always purring and wanting attention. I believe it depends more on the personality of the cat rather than the breed.

Treat your new kitten with affection and lots of love and you'll have a loving cat.
That's not true. Animals are what you make them. If you raise them with love and attention, they will give it to you in return. It can take time, but it will happen.
Never heard that one.I grew up with a torti and she was great. Was a vet assistant, also, saw many.must be bad luck where your friend works.
Give me a break. A cat's coloring doesn't determine it's personality. Certain BREEDS have varying personality traits, but the coloring doesn't make much of a difference. I've met MANY tri-colored cats in my life (torties and calicos) who were perfectly sweet, easy-going animals. My dilute calico is very affectionate and easier-going than my 12lb. lazy male, lol.
The torties do have that reputation. I have two of them. They have lots of attitude and are not the most cooperative in the veterinary office.

Both my gals are very lovable and wonderful pets. You will love your little kitten and she will be a great pet for you.
I've seen many tort-colored cats.and every one of them had very sweet dispositions. Good Luck with your new Kitty!
I have a couple tortishelled colored cats and they are fine and friendly.
I agree, we have one and it's mean and kinda dumb too
That is tottally untrue about torti's. I have a Torrti and she's always laying on my chest purring and rubbing faces with me, they are the same as pretty musch every other cat, you give them love and they return it.
I have raised 2 tri-colored cats and seen many others that have been very affectionate. I believe that abuse or love will ultimately determine what type of an attitude that an animal will have.
Another person answered that color doesn't make much of a difference, that it is the breed. This is true but certain breeds are generally cerrtain colors which may lead some poeple to believe that it is the coloring.
Not true. I find the same answer frequently when I tell people I have Siamese. They always act weirded out by it, and say how mean and aloof Siamese are, where in reality they are very loving, and act like dogs, really. They follow me everywhere, always want to be by me, come when they are called, and sleep on my bed every night. Fur color is not related to a cat's personality, and every breed has every type of personality. And anyways, you have the cat, and you like her, right? So you can't bring her back now; just love her and she'll love you.
No, thats not right . Just makes it difficult to type as I have one and she is sitting in my lap now.She is the sweetest little baby in the world. Cats are furry kids, they learn from thier parents!
True calicos (white, red, and black patches) do have an inborn genetic tendency to be a little 'off' in the head. They're not evil, or retarded, but they just aren't quite like other cats.

I don't think the same would hold true for your tri-color, since she's not actually a calico. But I have met a lot of true calicos and they all have the same anti-social personality, no matter how they're raised.
That is a ridiculous thing for someone with knowledge of animals to say, maybe in her experience!! but its like the old saying "fiery red head" my son couldn't be less fiery if he tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment