Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cat Scratches Floor Before Drinking H2O..?

I've had 2 beautiful white cats (1 for 23 yrs growing up, and my current doll of 10+ yrs) , both white long-haired wonderful sweeties who before they drink in a bowl, will scratch the floor 1/2 doz. times before drinking. Any answers to this?
Answers:
No specific answer to this. I think its a "mental" thing. I have two cats also, and only one of them will "cover" the food (after she gets through eating), but they both have a "hard time" covering everything in the litter box. Its actually hilarious to watch mine "cover" her food (she mainly does it when I give them canned food and occasionaly with dry food when if first gets put out). I'm not sure on the answer, but at least I'm not the only person whose cats will do this.
I know my cat turn away from his food and scratches the floor when he doesn't like it. I believe he is "burying it"..So maybe your little snowballs are digging up the well?
cats will be cats. my cat Fur-ball would look into a cup if it was empty he would leave it alone, if it had water or juice in it he would promptly turn it over and run, it was funny and annoying. don't worry about your cat they have their own personalities and their isn't anything we can do about it.
There are scent pockets in cats' feet. I think by scratching the floor around the food or water, the cats are releasing their scent, to claim the area as theirs in case any other cats come along. They are doing the same thing when they rub against your leg--claiming you as theirs.
Maybe just "grooming" the area, mine will do that when he finishes in the litter box, he does it outside the litter box-like sweeping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment