Thursday, May 7, 2009

cat sitting?

A guy at my work said he wanted to offer me some money to watch his cat while he's out of town. He lives on the same road as me. What is a fair amount to charge? $5 a day?
Answers:
As a professional petsitter, I used to charge $15.00 per visit, so someone on here saying $5.00 per visit is steep, obviously has NO clue what people pay to have their pets taken care of. A kennel would charge him more than $5.00 per day as well, so that is NOT too expensive at all. I thought it was a little low. It does not sound like the cat needs a huge amount of care..and if it is not a huge inconveinience to you, and you are okay with the $5.00 a day, then take that. HOWEVER, keep in mind that you are pretty much in charge if some emergency pops up and say the cat gets sick and needs to be taken to the vet, or if there in some emergency with his house/apt. It may not seem like a lot of responsibility now, but believe me.things can sometimes go wrong and you should be prepared to handle whatever happens. Also, have him let you know who his regular vet is, and he should leave some sort of payment with the vet (a credit card number or signed check) so that if there is reason for you to take the cat in, you are not stuck footing the bill. Hopefully all will be just fine, but just wanted to give you a heads up so you can be prepared for anything! Good Luck.
yeah, that sounds fair!!
depends on what you have to do, if all you have to do is go in make sure he has food %26 water, then $5 a day is fine
That sounds fair. He would pay at least $15 per day to board kitty.
I thinks thats kind of steep. I used to cat sit and I got 40 dollars for 2 weeks for 3 cats. But its up to you. I would charge like 5 dollars for a weekend, maybe 15-20 for a week depending on what he is having you do.
yeah probably, because since he is letting you in his house, it would be a fair amount.
depends on the the worth of ur day's work. if u feel, ur earnings per day fetches u 5 dollars, the amount is ok, unless u r charging out of compassion.
I cat sit for free for my friends, so they (in return) will cat sit for me when I go out of town. I really like this sort of mutual arrangement. Otherwise, if you will be charging, $5 a day is VERY reasonable . but you did say it would be close. I assume he wants you to scoop the box, food/water, bring in the mail/paper and pet the cat?

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Basically you would be setting out food and water for the cat and cleaning the litter box every day. If you want to go the extra mile, you could find out if his cat is energetic and should be played with for a few minutes or if his cat needs excersise and should be made to chase something for a few minutes. The whole cat sitting shouldn't take very long at all, so yes $5 per day sounds good.
I have a pet sitting service, and charge $15.00 per visit for cats. They typically need only one visit per day.
If he is going to give you repeated business then $5.00 a day seems fair for what you have to do.
Persdonally I do it for free, but that is just me.good deeds
sounds good, if not a little cheap. When we went away for the weekend we offered our friend 40 bucks plus allowed to crash at our place while we were gone in exchange for watching our kitties. He didn't take the cash though.
no more than $10. 00.
Since you're not a professional sitter, $5 is just fine. I once paid a friend of mine $150 because she took my cat in for a month, when I had to be out of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment