Sunday, August 2, 2009

Could a hair ball actually choke a cat to death?

it scares me when my cat has them
Answers:
Technically they could if it was bad enough but that is very very rare. Don't worry.
No ..,, i don't think cat will eat it .. just bite little to play
If a hairball is to large and they can not cough it up, it can choke. I used to manage a pet shop and had one cat that did choke on a hairball. There is something that you can give your cat so that they pass the hairball you may want to speak to your vet for the product they recommend.
Its very rare for a cat to die choking from a hairball. To minimize hairballs groom your cat regularly with a soft brush. it removes loose hairs and the cat likes the attention.
iam not sure but if its big iam sure it can they have cat food you can buy that will help with that good luck
I suggest that if your cat has them often that you:

Brush as often as tolerated.

Feed them Hairball Formula as part of their diet - from any company - we use Science Diet.

Give them a hairball remedy so they will defecate it instead of throwing it up.
While I have never heard of a cat choking to death on a hairball, I have heard of cats intestines becoming blocked completely by hairballs and needing to have emergency surgery to correct the problem and save the cat. Giving your cat one of the hairball remedies on the market such as Laxatone, is a good preventive measure.
Hairballs can kill a cat. There is a hairball gel kind of stuff that you can get your cat at Wal-mart, and they just eat it. They usually like the taste so it's not hard to do. There is also a food brand named Science Diet and they have a special kind for cats to prevent hair balls. You can pick some up at your vet.

5 comments:

  1. I found my cat dead yesterday with a hairball still in its mouth going down into her throat.
    She was laying in a small pool of saliva so I assume she choked on it. She was a long haired tabby who often coughed up giant hair balls. I wish we had brushed her more or something. We had her for ten years and she was very close to us.
    It was very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My baby died yesterday. He had been trying to cough up a hairball for weeks, I just don't know if it was that or my dog. They liked cleaning each other. My dog always put his leg on my cat, then clean his ears. He might have pushed too hard. I also had him for 10 years. I was so hoping I would go before him. My poor dog keeps looking for him

      Delete
  2. Yeh tony is right! The exact thing happen to my cat only she was eating grass to help her throw up. I noticed that she was eating a lot less and was very picky on what food she would eat. She died just before dinner and a lump of eaten grass nearby. I was especially close to our family cat, she was about 13 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just lost our beautiful big black boy like this. We tried desperately to get it out but it was so far down the back of his throat. We gave him CPR and did everything we could to no avail. We suspect he may have had a heart attack or similar when the hairball lodged as he died so, so fast and we had no warning in the run up as he was absolutely normal. He didn't even so much as cough or convulse he just fell over stiff with his eyes fixed and dilated. It was the worst day of my life. We tried everything but we couldn't bring him back :'(

    We are completely devastated. He was no less than our child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your loss. My baby left me yesterday. I found him in a real bad snow storm, ten years ago. I put him inside my coat and drove home 1 1/2 hours. He had his head under my chin. And that's where he was when he died. I will always miss my little baby

      Delete