Sunday, August 2, 2009

Chances of contagious diseases amongst cats?

I felt sorry for a stray cat, and bought it in for the past two nights to find it a home. I already have a cat, who is my baby, and I am worried about any diseases the other cat may be able to pass on to my cat. I was going to be getting her shots this week (for my cat), so she is not up to date on some of her vaccines yet. What are the chances of her catching something dangerous from a stray who appears to be healthy? I plan on calling the vet tomorrow and make her vaccine appointment tomorrow, but I am worried it might be too late. Do not tell me I am a bad owner, I planned on getting my cat her shots, and will do so still. I love my cat, and want to make sure I do everything I can to keep her safe. We did keep the cats seperated, but the other kitten cried all night. Also, anything they can pass each other by sharing food dishes/litter box/ living quarters or scratching? Sorry if I sound paranoid, just a worried "mom".
Answers:
Definitely best to keep them separated for now at least.

If the stray seems healthy, then hopefully it is, but you've no way of being absolutely sure. It may be carrying viruses such as feline herpes (one of the diseases that makes up the complex inaccurately called "cat flu"), which could be contracted by your cat if she's not up to date with her vaccinations. If it's truly a stray, then it's almost certainly got flea and worm infestations as well.

It also would be a good idea if you can to get the stray tested for feline leukaemia and FIV ("feline AIDS").feline leukaemia is spread in saliva (so through sharing bowls, grooming each other, etc.) and FIV is spread mainly via scratch and bite wounds.

Good luck with finding a home for your stray, and I hope both stay happy and healthy!
Actually your cat is in more danger of getting something from the stray that is NOT covered by vaccines. FIV, (the feline form of AIDS) Felv, (leukemia, covered by shots however) and ringworm are the worst of the bunch. Other things include fleas, tapeworms, and coccidia can also be transmitted very quickly, but those are easily treatable. You should quarantine your cat and take both to the vet for simple tests to make sure all is well :)
Yeah, there are a few diseases they can pass on to each other. Off the top of my head I can think of feline leukemia and FIV-cats HIV, passed on from their saliva usually from biting. As far as the feline leukemia, not sure exactly how that's transmitted, but a vet told me they could pass it through a screen on a window. Just keep the appointment for the shots, and tell your vet about the kitten. The vet can advise you better and what to look for.
After having lost one cat, I won't bring a stray into the house until it has been seen by a vet. I've found that food, water and a cardboard box with some old tee-shirts will usually keep the cat around until I can get it to the vet. The least you can end up with is a flea infestation.

We now have two indoor cats that never go out and three outdoor cats that never come in. The outdoor cats usually migrate into boxes in the garage during the winter. I put a 60 watt lamp under a tin and they snuggle up to it when it gets really cold.
It's possible, but look at it this way, many people let their cats out where there are feral cats and they don't get sick. You have them seperated, because of this I would say the chances are pretty remote. I think you are saying the other one is a kitten, if it's abandoned kitten and want to keep it, the Humane Society will take care of it's shots and neuter it for you for a much lower fee than the vet would charge. Wait till you have them both shot before you allow them togethor. P.S. I think you are kind for taking it in. If the kitten cried all night, someone probably dumped the poor thing.
I don't know what you are getting your cat vaccinated for - vaccines are effective over longer periods of time and don't usually have to be repeated too often. If it is part of the kitten series she will be alright until you get the next one. You don't mention the age of your cat or the approximate age of the stray.

Keeping them separate is very important until the stray has seen a vet and been tested for the most dangerous diseases. It sounds as if they are both kittens. I would not worry as long as they are separate. The stray kitten will be lonely by himself and that is just the way it needs to be. If he is fed and protected and spends some time alone it will not hurt him.

Be at peace tonight and take care of these things as soon as you can.
cat scratch fever

No comments:

Post a Comment