Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cost of spaying a cat? any vets out there?..please read?

Our vets office said they would put her under ($240 US) but at Anti-Cruelty its only $10 plus the rabies shot, but they only give the pet a LOCALand TIE THEM DOWN. Is this true??
Answers:
You cannot give a local for a spay. There may be a difference between the gas anesthesia that a full price vet hospital uses, and an injectable anesthetic that a spay/neuter clinic uses. There are no bell and whistles at the clinic. No pre-op blood work. No fancy equipment to monitor the animal. Just a spay and off the table. I work at a spay/neuter clinic and we do it just by injectable anesthetic. No tube in throat, no gas anesthesia. One injection, and they are in fact "under" for the surgery. You always tie them down for a spay anyway.
I think you misheard or someone didn't explain it well. Can you imagine the scratches and bites that would come from holding a cat or dog down for a spay with just a local?? It is NOT possible!
And they are "tied down" to keep them on the back with the legs out of the way. They are asleep and it is not cruel in any way.
i never heard of that "tie them down" i would look for a little more info on that one doesnt sound right to me.is it worth saving the money to put your pet through something that sounds so cruel as that? i would ask for more details the price is appealing but i would never do anything to jeopardize the health of my pets
that doesn't seem right. especially for spaying I know that when my boys were neutered they were under general anestesia.
im not a vet but it cost 150$ here were i live and thats shots and all
you should call around. its normally about 60-80 dollars to spay a cat. 240 is ridiculous
around $100
I don't know if it is true about the Anti-cruelty society. $240 sounds about right. It has been 7 years since I needed it done.
My local SPCA offers low cost spaying/neutering but its not a local with a tie down, I have never heard of that. But some shelters still gas animals. I would check other shelters in your area and ask more questions. Good Luck KG
I agree---call around. You can find a much better price than the one you were quoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment