Sunday, August 2, 2009

Choosing kitten gender?

No, it's not what you might think!

Whatever we end up getting -- male or female -- we will spay or neuter. So are there any advantages of having a cat of either gender?

Are there any health concerns related to specific gender? Behaviorial tendencies?

We are hoping this will be an indoor cat, although we had a cat many years ago and once it got the taste of the outdoors we just couldn't contain it.

We have two boys (kids, not cats), if it helps answer this. The six year-old is more rambunctious; the 12 year-old (for whom the cat will be a present) is quiet.

Advice? Thanks.
Answers:
I've had cats of both genders down the years; as long as they are spayed/neutered, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. I would say that the breed matters more than the gender, but even that is certainly secondary to the personality of the individual cat.
Male,They Are Cheaper To Neuter And More Entergetic.
I had a female cat who I absolutely adored! She was very loving and would even wait by the door for me to come home. The only problem was that when I went on vacation one time, I returned to a very upset cat. She actually ignored me for about two days until she got over it! Also, she wouldn't really pay attention to anyone other than me. I'm not sure if this is gender related, but if so you might want a male for your family! Good luck!
Male cats tend to wander more if they do get out, most females stay closer to home.
It is always best to get two kittens, not just one. Get a male and a female to experience the special qualities of both sexes. Nothing is universal as it relates to cat gender - just a preponderance of characteristics.

I am a real fan of the male cat and I have three females too that I love dearly. Each one is individual.
I've had better luck with female cats as indoor only animals. The males even when neutered seem to want to roam.
female cats tend to stay "at home" more, and males(even neutered) tend to roam. Any cat that "gets a taste of the outdoors" likes it:)
A male cat I believe still sprays a sent after its fixed.
While a female cat never sprays but still might exibit sexual behavior at times.
Cats prefer to be outdoors, I had one cat who was leased trained and I could take her on walks.
The cat we have now sneaks outside and will only come in when she is hungry, potty, cold and wet. Though she was raised to be more of an indoor cat. We even try to leash train her like the other cat we had but she refused.
Cats are very independent in nature- the key I believe is somehow finding one with the personality your looking for- just like people all cats are different.
Since you have already had one cat- you may have more of an idea in personality what you are looking for, so pick a cat for that rather than just the way they look.
your local animal shelter or vet could help you with the needs of your family and the cat.
Female only because it plays more with you and normally it purrs more! Trust me i have 2!
I always get male cats. I think they have a more pleasant, fun-loving disposition. Neutered males sometimes get urinary tract infections and kidney stones. You are right. Once they slip outside, it's all over!! My cat spends the greater part of his days trying to slip outside every time the door opens.
from my experience males are more social and females are more territorial to their owners and space. if you want the cat to be just their pet go for the female. if you want a more doglike behavior get a boy.
I have found that males make better pets. I have both. Males are more laid back when they are fixed, The female is the dominate one as she has the natural instincts to protect like a mother. Males can have problems later with urinary problems if not fed a low PH cat food. Males are cheaper to fix. Make sure the kitten has been socialized before getting it, as kittens taking away from their mom and litter mates too earily can be antisocial.
I have raised Persians for 20 years, and have allways been owned by a cat.
Some say male cats are more affectionate than females. Since you plan to sterilize whatever sex you get, you have eliminated numerous health problems down the road.
Large male cats are more prone to urinary blockage, but with the proper diet this can pretty much be eliminated.
So I would base my decision on the personality of the kitten rather than the sex. Is the kitten playful, ok with being held, doesn't use it's claws when playing? These are things you should look for in a kitten.
I have had cats all my life (3 boys and two girls so far!) and I really don't think that there is any difference once they have been spayed. I can't say that I've noticed my boy's wanting to roam more than the girls..so I wouldn't let that concern you too much.

I believe it depends more on the cats natural disposition, and how it's been brought up.

The only concern with male cats are that they can be prone to crystals developing in their urinary tract. In fact, once a male cat is neutered, he's 7 times more likely to have this problem. I've read that the major cause is actually the cat not getting enough water in it's diet. Simple solution, always feed wet food twice a day - you can still leave pellets out, but mix in about a tablespoon of hot water with the wet food to make sure that they get enough water. Besides, most kitties don't like cold food from the fridge, so a bit of hot water makes it more palatable.

Another thing, as the cat will be a gift for your son, I seriously reccommend getting a kitten that's a little bit older - try anything from 12 weeks onwards. They have had sufficient time to spend with mommy, and tend to settle in much quicker. Also, very young kittens are a LOT of hard work, as it's kind of like bringing in a newborn. Kittens from 12 weeks have also had a chance to develop their own antibodies (earlier than this, and they are still depending on the antibodies provided by mom's milk.) This means a younger kitten is more likely to develop infections, diarreah etc. Not a fun time to go through, trust me!

In fact, getting a young cat of about a year old is probably a good bet, kittens are really cute, but it's only for a short while, and if you get a cat of 1yr or slightly older, they will have outgrown their "teenage" stage, where they rip everything to shreds and climb the curtains all the time!

The bonus here is that an older cat will react much more positively to your younger son if he should pick kitty up and sling it over his shoulder etc- even though the cat is a gift for your eldest, your younger son will still be playing with him. Young kittens can be easily startled, and may bite or scratch if scared. An older cat will just jump away and go sit on top of the bookshelf if your youngest is annoying it!

An older cat has also had a chance to develop it's own character, so as you see him in the shelter, that's what he's going to be like. With young kittens - you can never be too sure what tendencies they may end up with when they are older.

I reccomend taking both kids to the SPCA and taking a look at the older cats. One that runs up to the gate and lets both boys pick him up and pet him, is the one that's going to settle the best with your family!

Also, cats who have been de-clawed tend to be biters, so try stay away from that if possible! A nice scratch post and a little effort and they will behave just fine inside!

Good luck and congrats on wanting to give a poor kitty another chance!

PS - I've just recently adopted a 1yr old female, who has settled in famously - I think she was found in the streets - she's now being kept as an indoor kitty and has adjusted just fine. Keep a spray bottle near the front and back doors, and spritz them when they try to come too close to the door when you are leaving! Both of mine now sit on the stairs and peer around the corner at the front door when I get home! They have both lost all desire to go see what's out there (a giant sprinkler monster, I'm sure that's what they think!)
GO TO YOUR LOCAL SHELTER AND LET A KITTEN PICK YOU THAT IS THE BEST ADVISE I CAN GIVE YOU KITTENS TEND TO LIKE OR DISLIKE YOU NEVER PICK A KITTEN BY THE WAY THEY LOOK OR GENDER BECAUSE IT MIGHT NOT MESH WITH YOUR FAMILY OR SON ALL SHELTERS HAVE KITTENS NOW IT IS THE END OF MATING SEASON FOR CATS

No comments:

Post a Comment